Friday, September 17, 2010

Clementine Curd

I've been missing. Just call me dumb and get it over with.

Anyhoo, as most of you know, I am earning my Certificate in Cooking. I had a baking class this week, and one of my assignments was to make Lemon Curd... and I messed it up twice before class was over. This is my revenge! Clementine Curd. Jenny Style.



Ingredients:
2 Oz Clementine Juice (or any fruit you want)
1 Tsp Zest
3.25 Oz Sugar (Split into 1.5 and 1.75)
1 Egg
3 Oz Butter

Bring the Juice, Zest, and half of the Sugar to a boil in a non reactive pot. In a separate bowl, combine the Egg and the rest of the Sugar. Temper the Eggs and combine. Put back on the heat and bring to a boil, again (I have no idea the science behind the multiple boilings.)

Bring the mixture down to 120 degrees and mix in the Butter in little chunks until combined. Strain out the yucky eggy bits, zest, and whatever other non-curd-like objects remain in the pot. Consume.

4 comments:

  1. Bring on the pound cake!!! Glad you're back to blogging. You have come a long way since roasted chicken....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "hangy ball in the back of your mouth"...my fave. I miss me some jennyface like whoa! not quite whoa, but something like whoa. you know.

    yay juicer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting variation on lemon curd. I've heard lime curd is nice, too... mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. the purpose of tempering the hot mixture into the eggs is so the eggs do not turn into scrambled eggs. and you bring it back to boiling so the ingredients thicken and you get a curd.

    you'd do the same for custards, puddings, flan, etc.

    ReplyDelete

FoodBlogBlog Proud member of FoodBlogsAs Featured On EzineArticles
article writer